Hot in Hair: Big, Sexy Blowouts
Posted: May 15 2015
When major fashion designers like Naeem Khan, Matthew Williamson and Diane von Furstenberg wanted to sex up their spring 2015 collections, they looked no further than the ultimate sex symbol herself for inspiration—Brigitte Bardot. The results? They emulated the curvy mademoiselle’s signature look with big, bouncy blowouts and this year’s bombshell look was born. Here’s how to get the look.
What you’ll need:
- Blow dryer
- Round brush
- Hot rollers
- Dry shampoo
How to get the look:
- Start by using a volumizing shampoo and conditioner, only applying the conditioner from mid-shaft down to avoid flattening at the roots.
- Let hair air dry until about 70% of the water is out, then blow dry hair while lifting at the root with the round brush.
- Once hair is completely dry and smooth, apply oversized hot rollers throughout the entire head. If you’re not familiar with hot rollers, here's a great guide from Harper's Bazaar on how to use them.
- Once the rollers have cooled, remove them carefully. Keep in mind that Brigitte’s signature style was all about volume, so make sure not to pull the rollers down and flatten hair in the process.
- Instead of teasing hair at the crown, like they did in the 60’s, the modern way to create volume on top is with dry shampoo. Spray it at the root to create lift, then lightly brush it to smooth it out.
- Finish with hairpspray, and voila! Your look is complete.