MYNT NEWS: Holiday Makeup Ideas
Posted: Dec 17 2014
‘Tis the season for holiday cocktail parties, visiting friends and family and gettin’ blingy with it. And we’re not just talking about blingy jewelry. This year, holiday looks are getting an extra bit of sparkle with shimmer makeup. Yes, the look is controversial and makeup enthusiasts tend to fall into two camps: those who love matte textures and those who support shimmer in their color palette. Here at MYNT, we fall firmly into camp shimmer, especially for the holiday season.
Not only does shimmery makeup add a touch of bling for holiday looks, it also has the added benefit of making the wearer look luminous and younger, almost lit from within if done right. Can’t argue with that! Follow our tips below for how to do shimmer right.
- If you have acne-prone, excessively dry or wrinkly skin, you may want to skip shimmer in your foundation or blush/bronzer. The shiny stuff can emphasize all your little imperfections and call attention to what you don’t want. A better strategy is to wear shimmery or metallic eyeshadow and lip gloss instead of lipstick, which keeps the shine and attention on your pretty features, where we want it.
- Mix a little highlighter or shimmer in with your foundation or bronzer for that lit from within look. You’ll have a beautiful glow that’ll last and last.
- Unless you’re going for a very trendy or specific look, keep the shimmery colors in the neutral or subdued family. Since shimmer is attention grabbing on its own, adding a bold color to the mix can be excessive for some women and unflattering and is usually not appropriate for daytime.
- Don’t limit shimmer to nighttime, but again, only wear it in neutral and low key tones for day. It can add polish to any casual look, after all.
- If you’re tentative about trying the shiny stuff, try illuminating one feature at a time. Lips are usually the easiest to start with and have the most impact particularly on older women. Switch your matte lipstick for a moisturizing non-sticky gloss or a creme lipstick for a younger, fresher look.